Sunday, April 25, 2010



The picture above is an example of Projectile Motion at an Angle.  As I rolled off this kicker, many things occurred because of projectile motion.  First off, The reason this is at an angle is because the kicker is at an angle with the ground as opposed to just rolling off an edge.  So right as my board is exiting the ramp, it has an initial velocity and x and y components to go with it.  The horizontal component of the ramp will be the same throughout my board's projectile motion.  The x-component does not change.  The vertical component, however, changes.  Right as the board exits the ramp the y-component is the initial velocity times the sin of theta.  During the actual projectile motion of the board in the air the equation for the y-component of the velocity is this:

Once the board reaches the highest point in its motion, the vertical component of the velocity is always 0.       It is about this point that is depicted in the picture above.  Since the place where I began my projectile motion is above the point where I will land, there are points right before I land where the y-component of my velocity will be more than the original y-component of the board's initial velocity.  The picture above is a appropriate picture to show projectile motion at an angle.

6 comments:

  1. I like this picture because it mixes something you like to do with the world of physics. It is a perfect example of projectile motion, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always exciting to see students making physics relevant to their lives. Obviously, you think about physics when you are on the skateboard.

    Just to make this a little more in depth, what possible reason could there be for you putting your arms out like that? I mean, you knew you needed to do it, but what is the physics behind it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a sk8r boi myself, back in the day. The boards were a bit different, though.

    I'm impressed that you used something that you are so passionate about to explain this concept. I enjoyed reading your explanation.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool picture. I really think the athleticism of skateboarding is often overlooked by most people. Putting yourself on the line to demo a physics idea is admirable.

    I liked your explanation, but got confused about whether you were talking about the ramp or the board. I think it could be made a little more clear. And check your sign on the acceleration in your equation for the vertical velocity component of your board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paxton, I like your picture a lot because it looks like you are defying gravity!
    Your explanation is clear and correct.You are definitely a skateboarding expert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could have done better. Sooo...... Yea.

    ReplyDelete